BERNARD REAMS, CPBD
Certified Professional Building Designer
Senior Project Manager 2006 – PresentPST Engineering 8141 N. Oak Trfwy, Suite D, Kansas City, MO 64118 Office: (816) 468-1200; e-mail: BReams@PSTKC.com
Civil/structural engineering consulting firm specializing in design of small-to-mid-sized residential/commercial buildings, single and multifamily dwellings, structural elements design, third-party arbitration for insurance companies, experts for owners and others, construction inspections/special inspections services and residential/commercial inspections for property owners/buyers, forensic engineering, project management, damage assessment and investigations of many kinds.
- Certified Professional Building Designer for all Residential and Small Commercial Buildings.
- Design consultant & Sr. Project Manager – many and varying small to mid-sized construction projects for residential and commercial buildings. Design, conceptualize, sketch, detail and model various residential and commercial buildings.
- Damage assessment and investigations management and oversight – construction defect and water leak investigations.
- Project Management over construction of residential and commercial projects. Residential and commercial buildings as well as infrastructure, structural elements and systems, MEP systems and elements.
- Expert witness testimony – opinions and recommendations provided on:
- Roof damage/installation defect assessment
- Termite damage assessment
- Impact damage assessment – vehicles, trees, equipment loads, affect on building contents
- Water infiltration locating and damage assessment
- Construction defect itemizing and assessment
- Provide structural design support for homes and commercial buildings – structural elements, slabs, foundations, diaphragms, retaining walls, etc.
- Home and building inspector and design consultant.
- Phase I ESAs.
Operations Manager 1993 – 2006McRoberts Building Corp Local Residential Building Firm
Residential Custom Home Building Company specializing in use of newest technological advances in engineered building materials for use in construction in new homes. Eco-Land use technology and conservation with relation to materials that are less harmful to environment.
- Revenue increase 1998-2005 of 68%.
- Managed and supervised KC office: Contractors, Equipment operators, Material suppliers.
- Reported directly to executive President and Partners.
- Reviewed, proposals and recommendations, plans and specifications.
- Managed daily operations of building new homes in Kansas City Area.
Survey, Foundation, Framing, HVAC, Electrical, Electrical, Plumbing, Interior and Exterior Wall Construction, Concrete Paving, Exterior Pier Construction and Outside Deck Construction.
Owner / CEO 1983 – 1993Reams Construction Company Local Concrete and Asphalt Paving Company
Design and construction of all types of surface treatments in relation to Asphalt Paving and Maintenance, Concrete Paving, Collector roads, Parking lots, Public Works Projects, Sidewalk, Etc. Excavation and Grading with relation to Retention Pond collection of Storm Drainage and transfer at reduced rate.
- Designed and constructed numerous parking lot and collector roadway systems.
- Pavement maintenance systems for increased life expectancy of existing lots.
- Designed and built first dual-diaphragm cold oil deployment system for truck mounted application of material to parking surfaces. The 800 Gallon mounted unit was fabricated in Largo, Fla. per our specifications and delivered to Kansas City in 1986.
- Developed method to repair and re-surface parking surfaces in out-lying areas of Kansas and Missouri where Asphalt Plants were not available through mobilization of multiple insulated trucks and time frame analysis to deliver material to job site while asphalt material remained at workable temperature.
Staff Engineer 1976 – 1983HNTB Consulting Engineers Kansas City based Civil Engineering Firm
Consulting engineering firm specializing in Airfield Design, Highway Design and Bridge Design.
Construction management and project engineer on Airfield re-construction of runway and taxiway systems at Tulsa International Airport. Involvement included coordination of contractor with client to accomplish project in best time frame while keeping all construction within safety parameters.
- All phases of construction from initial excavation to final concrete surface were inspected by our staff and project was completed in time for landing of first space shuttle Enterprise carried on back of 747 aircraft.
- Engineering Design, calculations, surveys all accomplished and supervised by Chief Engineer at main office in Kansas City Missouri.
- Served as Party Chief on Survey Crew for layout of Railroad Spur in Wolcott, KS. Surveys included horizontal and vertical alignment, bench leveling, topographical surveys, legal survey, and cross sections.
County Engineer1975 – 1976Marion County Kansas Rural County in Kansas
Management of all rural roadway systems and bridges within the existing county boundary limits. This includes paved Primary and Secondary collector roads, bridge and drainage structures, and gravel surfaces requiring the proper maintenance to keep roads in good condition and stay within yearly budget figures.
- County personnel totaled 25 employees all to be managed by my office. This included 3 office personnel individuals.
- County owned and operated various types of heavy equipment for re-building and maintaining all roads in the county. The Equipment was also used during the winter for all necessary clearing of snow, all items managed and coordinated by the county engineer.
- Drainage structures and bridges had to be maintained and re-designed as they became dilapidated which was all done in house by the county. All surveys and grade and drainage calculations were done by the county engineer.
- All new bridge design that was to incorporate federal funding had to be coordinated with The Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT). The design had to be approved by no less than two KDOT Engineers before proceeding with bid process from local and outside contractors. All coordination was accomplished by County Engineer.
BSED: Bachelors of Science in Environmental Design – July 1975, University of Oklahoma – Norman, Oklahoma
Specialization: Ecological and Environmental Design, Construction Materials and Project Management
Memberships: PBD, NACE, HBA, ASCE, others upon request
Professional Education & Certifications: Certified Planning Engineer, NACHI, KSBI, Structural Repair Specialist, Master Carpenter, Heavy Equipment Operator, ASCE Phase I ESA.
Rubberized Asphalt Pavement Feasibility Study for Parking Surfaces, Pavement Maintenance Magazine
Professional Service and Volunteer Work
- Optimist Club – South Kansas City
- National Association of County Engineers – NACE
- Home Builders Association – HBA
- Active Alumni Member – University of Oklahoma
- Phi-Gamma-Delta Fraternity Member – Sigma Nu Chapter
- Military History Research Advocate
- Musician (3 Instruments)
- Two Children 21 and 24 years old, Daughter going to Brooks Institute of Photography, Son in USMC
- United States Air Force Reserve
- Age: 58
- Citizenship: United States of America